How serious you're about writing?

Well, so I've been thinking there's a whole bunch of us, struggling writers, random bloggers, horsing around on the Internet. We spend time creating identities, looking for our own identities and god knows what else we're looking for all the time in the address bar of our browsers. I mean, there's a fair amount of writing talent that floats on the Internet, scattered here and there on lonely blogs whose authors keep checking their visitor stat counter everyday to see how many people came and actually read the shit they came up with.

So, I figure how serious we all are about all this writing stuff. I mean, are we going to be good writers or not? Are we going to be published authors of our novels or not? I've always thought of writing a novel, but I never wrote one. The first one I started last year, has only a chapter or so written. Lame, isn't it? I can't even call myself a writer. Are we really gonna write something worthwhile ever? Or are we here just to fool around, cater to anonymous comments, have discussions on useless politics and biased opinions and views of life?  Don't we want do something with our writing? Don't we want to write something that will actually come in print and be read and passed over generations?

If so, and if your answer is a strong and guilty yes, I guess it is not too late to make a new year resolution.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Current Book: "Selected Stories" by Edgar Allan Poe
Current Music: "Jaage Jaage Armaan Hai" in Mere Yaar Ki Shaadi Hai


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------People who read this post also liked :


17 comments:

Sush said...

Hey nice one!!

Mr. Dream Teamo said...

hey Miss Tanya..Nice One!! I really appreciate it
-MR Dream Teamo

Anonymous said...

True, made me realize a lot of things...

what ho! said...

What are you waiting for? Go for it. You've got the talent (or so some of us, your readers, would agree). There's only one way to find out. Get out there and do your thing. All the best in 2012!

Tanya said...

^^Thanks Sush and Dream Teamo.

@theiridescentobserver
I re-read this post to get motivation these days :D

@what ho!
You're right. This year, we got to get things done.

Vishal Kataria said...

Hey, a good inspirational one for people who want to take writing up seriously... :)

Arkantos said...

Hope you (and a couple of other people) get published this year and become famous :P

By the way, I started a new blog (just to write down some random arbitrary everyday shit. I will still reserve the American Sojourn for pro posts). Here is the link :

http://chronicblabber.tumblr.com/

Keep checking it out whenever you are free :P

Tanya said...

@Vishal 10ks!

@Arkantos,
We all will get published, one day, one day...Well, a few months ago I used to regularly check out both of your blogs...but you suddenly stopped writing!

Glad to know you're active again. Your readers will appreciate that quite a lot.

Peter Minj said...

Hope to get published someday,and don't stop with your novel.

Do check these links when you are free..
http://www.itsalltizzy-wizzy.blogspot.com/
http://www.unturnedpages.blogspot.com/

Rangr said...

Sometimes we have to figure out why we write. An excellent start to that analysis is George Orwell's "Why I write". After that motivation ain't the issue.

Tanya said...

@Rangr

Wow, that sounds like strong recommendation. I'll definitely try it if I get my hands on it.

Rangr said...

Here's the essay, http://orwell.ru/library/essays/wiw/english/e_wiw . Sorry that I was obtuse in my last post. I meant that once we have a strong motivation or the "burning" desire, we will definitely write. I hope you get that desire to finish up writing your book this year. Good Luck.

Kirklops said...

I don't know what to say other than quoting Steve Jobs, "Stay hungry! Stay foolish!"; and, of course keep dreaming, keep writing. Hope you get to finish off a few more chapters soon.

Hariharan Valady said...

I agree with you that we need to be serious about our writing. But you seem to think that publishing one's work is the ultimate purpose of writing. I am not sure of this.

Neeraj Kumar said...

Your views are very much on the lines that i think sometimes as well. I am working on the bigger version of the writing practice and hope to complete it in this year amid undulating surge of confidence and loss of confidence.

You spoke here for many of us here who would get encouraged after this.

Tanya said...

^^Hariharan
Publishing may or may not be the ultimate purpose of a writer's writing depending upon that writer's preference. If a writer writes just for himself/herself, publishing may not matter. But some writers have stories to tell, they have realities to share, they have a truth inside their breasts waiting to burst out, they can't contain it and then publishing is just one window to meet that goal.

I believe that every great work of science and art should be shared with the common world and if not, it might be lost within sands of time, and then mankind can not benefit from its greatness. Publishing creative stories or journal research articles are the basic methods of getting that greatness out, out to the common man.

But these are just my own personal views, I don't mean to offend you or anyone :(

@Neeraj, Your words speak for us. Thanks.

phatichar said...

I so agree with you...

Post a Comment

The Thought Pad Headline Animator

Hottest Posts

Make your own

About Me

My photo
My little body is aweary of this great world. An Indian PhD student horsing around in Europe.

Subscribe Some Shit

Followers

FeedCount